Selfridges Debuts New Experiences, Services to Support Circularity Goals
By 2030, British department store Selfridges wants 45% of all its transactions to come from circular products and services through its “Reselfridges” ecosystem of resale, rental, repair, refill and recycling programs. To reach that goal, Selfridges has kicked off the “Worn Again” campaign, with new events and experiences launching from now through August that invite customers “to explore Reselfridges at scale.”
Among the new additions are the permanent inclusion of subscription and rent-to-buy programs. The new Buy Now feature on Selfridges Rental services will allow customers to purchase selected rental items, while Rent to Buy will give customers the option of purchasing an item that they are renting if they decide they would like to keep it for continued use (with the rental cost deducted from the price).
Additionally, the retailer has launched a new bag-focused rental subscription service through which customers will receive a different designer bag of their choice delivered to them each month. The hyper-curated edit of more than 200 styles across 40 brands includes both new and archive designs.
Customers also will have the opportunity to participate in Worn Again via a series of experimental circular destinations and experiences at Selfridges’ London, Manchester and Birmingham stores as well as at Selfridges.com. These include:
- An exclusive Marine Serre atelier concept at the Selfridges Corner Shop from April 17 to May 14, 2023;
- The debut of a new secondhand fashion and lifestyle destination, The Edit by Reselfridges;
- Pre-owned furniture marketplace Vinterior will launch its first physical destination in Selfridges London on April 17, 2023, featuring one-of-a-kind pieces from throughout the decades including iconic brands such as Ercol, G-Plan and Ligne Roset;
- Selfridges’ Concept Store will welcome Coachtopia, a new sub-brand from Coach focused on circular craft from April 20 to May 21, 2023;
- A “Swap Shop” series at all stores in June and July will allow customers to trade in pre-loved styles for new secondhand fashions;
- The return of the Women for Women International #SheInspiresMe Car Boot Sale at Selfridges London for a second year on May 20, 2023. The Selfridges parking will host car trunks filled with past-season and secondhand designer fashion donated by brands, designers and fashion and beauty insiders. All money raised will go directly to Women for Women International;
- An outdoor furniture fair; and
- A reimagined Stock Market in the Corner Shop from May 15 to June 4, 2023, where items can be valued, traded, repaired or upcycled. Playfully designed to mimic the City trading floor, the space also will feature a program of bookable upcycling services that will turn signs of wear and tear into points of pride and interest, like hand-beaded moth holes or bespoke customizations including frills, zips, applique and screen printing.